If someone would have asked me the one dessert that I missed the most since having to switch to my new Color Me Sensible diets, I would have to say hands down it is cheesecake. I have such fond memories of my mom making my dad cheesecake for every one of his birthdays. Unfortunately, the recipe for her cheesecake has remained a secret since she passed away 4 years ago. We are still looking for it to this day, hoping we will find it to rekindle the perfect cheesecake. That being said, since my change of diets, I have eagerly looked for a cheesecake that I could enjoy. I have tried several store dairy-free and gluten-free items, but I did not enjoy their texture. Upon doing research, most of the recipes online included cashews, which I cannot have either. So the mission was set forth to create a cheesecake that I could eat, that would satisfy my love and fond memories of this epic dessert.
After much finagling, I finally came upon a recipe that satisfied both my flavor needs and my Color Me Sensible restrictions. This recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, and nut-free, but full of great flavor. So, fasten your seatbelts, let’s gather up these ingredients.
Color Me Sensible Cheesecake
- 2 cups Gluten-Free Graham Crackers
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup Vegan Butter (melted)
- 3- (8 oz) Kite Hill Almond Milk Cream Cheese (softened)
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 2/3 cup Coconut Milk
- 1/3 cup Vegan Butter (melted)
- You can also use any other milk substitute in replace for the Coconut Milk
- Feel free to play with the flavor profiles and change it up to showcase your cravings.
- The almond milk cream cheese can also be replaced with another dairy free cream cheese substitute
So now that we are ready, let’s get started!
1.Preheat your oven to 350F.
2. Take a 9″ Springform pan or 9″ Cake Pan and grease the insides. (If using a springform pan, wrap the bottom of the pan with aluminum foil to prevent seepage of water into it pan)
3. Get another pan that is larger than the pan you are using, this will be used to create a water bath.
4. Take your graham crackers and place them in food processor to chop them up into crumbs.
5. In a microwave safe container, melt the butter for the crust.
6. In a bowl, combine the Graham Cracker crumbs, 2 tbsp Sugar, lemon zest, and the Melted Butter.
7. Place the mixture into the bottom of the pan you are using and press down to cover the bottom completely.
8. In a mixing bowl, beat the Cream Cheese until light and fluffy.
9. Add the remaining Sugar and continue to mix until it is light and fluffy.
10. While the mixer is mixing, add eggs one at a time, making sure to encorporate fully after each addition.
11. Make the dairy-free heavy cream as follows. Melt the 1/3 cup Vegan Butter and whisk into the 2/3 cup Coconut Milk. Once it is smooth, the Heavy Cream is done.
12. Add the Heavy Cream to the mixing bowl and continue to beat until incorporated.
13. Increase the mixing bowl speed to high and then add the Lemon Juice and Vanilla Extract.
14. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
15. Place the prepared pan inside the bigger pan and add water to the bigger pan to about half-way up the prepared pan.
16. Bake at 350F for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
17. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before refrigerating to set completely.
18. Top as you desire and Enjoy!