Growing up one of my favorite sandwiches was a chicken salad sandwich on a toasted croissant. Just thinking about it brings back such wonderful memories. The sweet crunchiness of the croissant married with the smooth creaminess of the chicken salad was something this side of heaven. Now in my life, I cannot enjoy my childhood favorite like i used to. However, I was determined to find a way to enjoy chicken salad that would not only be healthy, but delicious, nutritious, and not send me to the hospital. For all the chicken salad lover out there, this one is for you!
Friendly Chicken Salad
2 pounds chicken breast
1 medium carrot
1 stalk of celery
1/2 cup dried cranberries
3 tbsp Avocado Oil Mayo
- You can switch out the cranberries for raisins, currants, dates, dried plums, dried apricots or whatever other type of dried fruit you like
- You can exchange out the apples for grapes, pears, or another fruit, just be mindful that citrus will seep out juices that can cause the salad to break down so avoid those if possible
- You can also add sliced almonds, pecans, walnuts, or even sunflower weeds to this salad if you want to add just a slight level of saltiness to it
So now that we have all our ingredients. Let’s get started!
1.Lay out your chicken breast onto a prepared sheet pan. Season with your desired seasoning. (I just use poultry seasoning for this, but make sure no matter what seasoning you use, check ingredients as some will contain gluten and dairy)
2. Bake chicken breasts in oven at 350F until they are completely cooked. This can take anywhere from 20-40 minutes depending upon the thickness of the breast and if it was completely thawed or not. (Make sure to check the internal temperature of the breasts to ensure that it reaches 165F for 15 seconds)
3. Set aside chicken breasts, once completely cooked, so that they can cool down.
4. Gather up carrot, apple, and celery. Make sure to rinse off all 3 under running water.
5. Dice up the apple and the celery. (I like to keep the skin of the apple on, but you can peel it if you would like)
6. Finely grate the carrot using a microplane or similar item. (If you prefer you can use larger grates, or even just finely dice carrot. I prefer the fine shreds of the carrot as a different level of texture)
7. Once chicken breast is cooled completely, dice up the chicken into bite size pieces. (For added variety, you can also shred the chicken to create a different consistency and texture.)
8. Add cranberries into the mix. (At this time, you can add any nuts or additional items as well)
9. Add your avocado mayo and mix together. (The total amount of mayo that you use depends upon how creamy you would like your salad to be. If you prefer drier salad, then use less. If you prefer creamier, then use more. It is totally flexible. )
You can enjoy you chicken salad in a variety of ways.
- In a wrap of your choice
- On toasted or untoasted bread
- In a large tomato
- By itself
- With a stash of crackers to put it on
- In a bed of lettuce
However you choose to enjoy your Friendly Chicken Salad, is totally up to you. Just remember to make sure it is Delicious & Nutritious!